1. Reducing Wastewater Generation
About 85% of fresh water intake in an abattoir will become wastewater. Slaughter and evisceration areas consume the largest amount of water with the majority being used for cleaning and sterilising equipment.
Variation in water usage is not only related to water efficiency practices but is also influenced by:
- product market and export requirements;
- type of animal/s processed;
- amount of value adding that is performed;
- number and length of shifts;
- abattoir layout and design; and
- age and variation in processing equipment.