Contractor Work Health & Safety Management in Meat Processing Plants
Under state Work Health and Safety (WHS) laws a person conducting a business or undertaking (PCBU) has the responsibility to ensure the safety of everyone on site. This includes contractors and subcontractors. The PCBU is the most senior manager of the company (generally the CEO). The PCBU must take all reasonable steps to:
· Protect the safety of contractors from risks they might be exposed to in the workplace.
· Ensure work conducted by contractors does not affect the health and safety of others.
Companies should have a system in place that outlines how they will manage contractors in their workplace that includes:
· Developing and implementing the system to manage contractors.
· Planning and preparing the contract work to be undertaken.
· Onsite management and supervision of contractors.
· Contract record-keeping and evaluation.