Value Chain Models for the 'Top Five' Bioactives
This report describes the findings and recommendations of a project carried out by Occum Enterprises Pty Ltd from June 2011 to February 2012. As described in the research agreement between the two organisations, the objectives of the project were to:
- Perform a detailed analysis of the domestic and international markets for the top four blood derived bioactives (BSA, haemoglobin, IgG, and prothrombin) and chondroitin sulphate (CS) derivedfrom beef cattle processing;
- Determine the proportion of the total global market (volume and value) of each of the five bioactives that could be satisfied by the Australian red meat bioactives industry (in terms of raw material available);
- Perform analysis around selected product market segments and processes, mapping out the selected value chains and quantifying the value add created during that process;
- Determine what value is added along the supply chain - qualitatively and financially;
- Identify global and local companies involved in the supply chain where possible; and
- Carry out a SWOT analysis.